Microsoft Excel is a powerful spreadsheet application that is widely used for data analysis, calculations, and organizing information. While it is primarily known for its number-crunching capabilities, Excel also offers various formatting options to make your data visually appealing and easier to understand. One such formatting feature is the ability to strikethrough text. This can be particularly useful when you want to indicate that certain information is no longer relevant or needs to be crossed out. In this blog post, we’ll explore how to strike through text in Microsoft Excel.
Steps to Strikethrough Text
- Step 1: Open Microsoft Excel and navigate to the worksheet where you want to apply the strikethrough formatting
- Step 2: Select the cell or cells containing the text you want to strike through. You can click and drag to select multiple cells.
- Step 3: Once the desired cells are selected, go to the “Home” tab in the Excel ribbon.
- Step 4: In the “Font” group, you’ll find the “Strikethrough” button, which looks like a letter ‘ab’ with a line through it. Click on this button
- Step 5: The selected text will now be displayed with a strikethrough line.
It’s worth noting that you can also apply the strikethrough formatting to individual characters within a cell by double-clicking the cell and selecting the specific characters you want to strike through before clicking the “Strikethrough” button.
Shortcut key to Strikethrough Text
Alternatively, for those that like the shortcut key method to strikethrough text, you can select the text and press the Ctrl and 5 key to strike through the selected text.
If you want to remove the strikethrough formatting, simply select the cell or cells again and click the “Strikethrough” button to toggle it off.
Striking through text in Excel is an effective way to visually highlight changes or indicate that certain data is no longer valid. Whether you’re working on financial reports, project plans, or any other type of spreadsheet, using the strikethrough feature can help you present information in a clear and concise manner.
In conclusion, Excel offers a range of formatting options, and the ability to strike through text is just one of them. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily apply and remove strikethrough formatting in your Excel spreadsheets, making your data more visually appealing and easy to interpret.